Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Are you Amazed?!?


MMJ!!! No it's not a typo for Michael Jordan, although ya the Bulls are playing out of this world... I hope they pull of the upset. However, back to the point My Morning Jacket (aka MMJ) was recently in Rolling Stones for best album (I believe it was in the top 10) and also best song, I'm Amazed (I believe was 1st), and I thought to myself how many people really know about them.

I for one had no idea who MMJ was until I was about two months or so away from going to bonarroo last year in 2008. My real good friend, and roommate now, Matt told me they put on an awsome show, and hey I had nothing better to do. But, I prepared myself, I listened to their music before hand and was knocked back by their most recent album 'Evil Urges.' It is simply amazing. From beginning to end you can listen to every song and not one of them sounds remotely similar to the other and you could almost swear its a different lead singer from song to song, but no Jim James is the man!!!

Hailing from Tennesee I believe, they fit somewhere in between the country and rock genre. Songs like 'Highly Suspicious' and 'Aluminum Park' almost make you think they could be a strictly rock n roll band, but then they have songs like 'I'm Amazed' and 'Librarian,' which are just so different i'm at a loss of words. The music they produce is just wonderful. Never getting to up tempo in their rock songs, but never too slow in their ballads as they captivate you with more than just music but wonderful lyrics.

One of my favorite lines from any song out their right now comes from the song 'Librarian.' Jim James sings about the typical fantasy of wanting to hookup with the librarian and throws out the idea that 'when god made mirrors he had no idea,' as he is combing his hair in the mirror. How awsome is that? It's so true, how much time do we all stand in front of the mirror just because we care so much of what other's think? I'm guilty we all are, as i mentioned in my post about being Vain.

Either way, today when you are wondering what you need to listen to to get you in the mood, go to listen.grooveshark.com type in 'Evil Urges,' hit play and enjoy the ride... the songs will take you on a trip, and if you can catch them live I highly recommend it as Jim James brings so much soul into his performances... I for one can feel his soul through the speakers, but that may be because i've seen them live a couple times and cant get enough.

Please give them a listen and enjoy as they make your day that much better :)

peace, love and happiness

3 comments:

  1. suggestions to the blogger :)

    there are two rules when blogging in general and they must be adhered to especially when blogging about music:

    Rule #1 - Post a photo

    Rule #2 - Include a link to music

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah yes, i will start to do this... but listen.grooveshark.com does such a good job for me, hehe

    and they are actually from Kentucky not Tenn. thx Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. note to readers: I have figured out how to post pics and other stuff, well atleast i think i have, so hopefully my next posts can be more colorful!!!

    ReplyDelete