Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Journey

This will be the first of many music related articles.

What the hell happened to me? I have asked myself this question so many times, I can't even imagine how many times my parents have sat back and asked themselves Who the hell is that kid? I used to wear nice big glasses, hair parted to one side (nice and gelled), shirt tucked in, and shy as hell... now I rock designer glasses, could care less what my hair looks like (really im just happy to have some left still, haha), shirt? i go shirtless as much as possible, and I love talking to new people and acting a fool. Its almost as if I was put into a centerfuge and all the dork left over the years.

When it all began... Seventh maybe Eighth grade, but really not until HS. Beastie Boys!!! hell ya, Kriss Kross makes you wanna jump jump!!! that was what I rocked on the cassette player. I was REBEL!!! haha, not at all. But it was the start... I was finally listening to my own music not the radio. It grew from there very slowly like the typical bell curve... i was just in the infant stages of my musical journey. I started to be able to go out on my own, drive, had cash, parties!!! and I learned about what is Led Zepplin and probably Pink.. ya def Pink Floyd. I loved that trippy synth they brought in. Still though I couldnt tell couldnt tell you the members, ya i probably know some... but what i know is their music was transcendent.

Finally college happened and man that was AWSOME!!! musically that is. It took a while to meet new people, you see I went to college all by my lonesome. First it was rap... 50 Cent hell ya, Jay-Z, D12... man i was thug life. I went and saw JayZ and 311 play at Verizon Center out in Virginia after a HELL of a long trek and man it was my first 'festival.' All these different types of music together in one day, it was awsome.

That was 1st sememster freshman year. right after this is when the bell curve started growing faster. Friends of friends and all of a sudden I was into blue grass... WTF!!! how did this happen, i still couldnt tell you. But i know one thing... my puerto rican roomate and I were blasting String Cheese Incident by sophomore year. Next, I was looking into this guy Keller Williams, who doesnt where shoes when he plays, plays ALL by himself, and uses a vast assortment of instruments including several guitars, bass, and his own percussion. And there I was next thing I new standing in front of the mirror looking myself straight in the eye and wondering where have these guys been all my life? And there I was standing in all my greatness: desheveled hair, cargo shorts/or pants, probably a Bob Marley tshirt and I had become just a trace of what I was just 5yrs prior.

And from there it has become a collection maybe more of a mash of music that has influenced and kept me going. Including but not limited to: Jurrasic 5, Blackalicious, Disco Biscuits, New Deal, My Morning Jacket, Ratatat, and way to many others to keep going on about now... till the next episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment